Ed Bilodeau

<< Back to Home

This weblog had moved: http://www.coolweblog.com/bilodeau/

# Notice (Oct 19/05): So ends my stay here on Blogger. This morning Google implemented an anti-spam 'feature' that forces me to answer a challenge phrase when I want to post to my own blog. No notice of the change, nothing. Worse is that it doesn't even work! I type the phrase, submit, "An error occured", post deleted. Damn you, Google. Chances are I will revive my blog somewhere else, sometime soon. I'll post the new coordinates here as soon as they become available. (BTW, I'm unable to post anything to my RSS stream, so I'd appreciate it if readers could spread the word and ask people to take a look at this notice)

Update (Oct 19/05, ~noon): After a frustrating few hours (and not just trying out alternatives to Blogger), I've decided that this is a good time to take a break from all this. A day? A week? Who knows. But I need to step away from it before I pass a heavy magnet over the whole mess.

Update 2: According to this post, the reason I'm seeing the CAPTCHA (challenge phrase) is that Blogger has classified my blog as spam. Thanks. User for five years and now I'm spam. I searched the Blogger site, but there is no mention of how to get the spam flag turned off. There is also no way of contacting anyone at Blogger. Wow. Spam they say I am, so spam I must be. Maybe it is time to take a break.

Monday, September 20, 2004

Evening update : Today was a busy day. This morning I plowed through my email, updated a document with review notes from a meeting last week, and put the final touches on a small (~10 slide) deck for a presentation in the afternoon. Met Nathalie for lunch, during which we walked up to Thompson House to take care of our health-care opt-out forms.

I got my PGSS associates card renewed while I was there as well. That's a longer story. Not the process of getting the card (which was handled with ease and grace by the PGSS staff), but the fact that I need one at all. The problem is I have two identities at McGill: faculty and student. My ID card says "staff" on it, since that was my only status when I started at McGill. Even if I get a new card, I can't get once with both "staff" and "student" printed on it. Not a problem for information systems, since my ID number is properly attached to both identities. For the doorman at Thompson House, however, its a problem (grad students only). Hence, my need for a separate piece of paper that authenticates me as a grad student. A minor hassle, but a hassle none-the-less. (I suppose if I went more often, the dorrman would know me and I wouldn't have to always fish out my card. But that would involve the consumption of coffee and/or beer. Actually, that sounds like a better solution then getting the associates card!)

After lunch, I met with Erica to go over the slide deck. We were presenting the KMCoP to Kim's taxonomy class at GSLIS. After that I rushed back to my office to put together a handout for the presentation (always give them something to walk away with), print out 20 copies, and make it back in time for the presentation. The presentation went well.

After that I picked up Nathalie at the library, and we headed to my office to get my junk before catching the 4:50 train home. Lasagna for supper, coffee afterwards over homework, which for me consists of reading and note taking: Pavalko's Sociology of Occupations and Professions, and Krauss' Death of Guilds (the work). CSI: Miami premiere at 10 (the reward).

(I know this is the kind of "blah blah" post that most people hate to read, but it is what I felt like writing... and the last time I'll apologize for it!)