Ed Bilodeau

<< Back to Home

This weblog had moved: http://www.coolweblog.com/bilodeau/

# Notice (Oct 19/05): So ends my stay here on Blogger. This morning Google implemented an anti-spam 'feature' that forces me to answer a challenge phrase when I want to post to my own blog. No notice of the change, nothing. Worse is that it doesn't even work! I type the phrase, submit, "An error occured", post deleted. Damn you, Google. Chances are I will revive my blog somewhere else, sometime soon. I'll post the new coordinates here as soon as they become available. (BTW, I'm unable to post anything to my RSS stream, so I'd appreciate it if readers could spread the word and ask people to take a look at this notice)

Update (Oct 19/05, ~noon): After a frustrating few hours (and not just trying out alternatives to Blogger), I've decided that this is a good time to take a break from all this. A day? A week? Who knows. But I need to step away from it before I pass a heavy magnet over the whole mess.

Update 2: According to this post, the reason I'm seeing the CAPTCHA (challenge phrase) is that Blogger has classified my blog as spam. Thanks. User for five years and now I'm spam. I searched the Blogger site, but there is no mention of how to get the spam flag turned off. There is also no way of contacting anyone at Blogger. Wow. Spam they say I am, so spam I must be. Maybe it is time to take a break.

Sunday, October 17, 2004

Adding Dublin Core support : Some of the feedback I've received from one of the other conference organizers is that we need to have Dublin Core metadata on our site. I've agreed, though I see it as mostly an issue of principle, i.e. that the web site for an LIS conference should have the proper metadata tagged to it. Since no one is actually going to use it, though, I can't help feel as if it is a waste of time.

I was able to dig up a few references and examples on coding DC into a web page. The information is surprisingly incomplete, at least for someone like me who understands the basics and just wants to know what I have to code and how. It's like trying to learn XHTML by reading a W3C spec!

I've added the DC metadata to the home page of the site. Now I'm trying to decide if I should (a) add the same metadata to all pages on the site, (b) add customized metadata to all pages on the site, (c) only have the metadata on the conference home page, and get on with other, more important work. Any thoughts or ideas that you the reader may have on this would be appreciated.