Ed Bilodeau

<< Back to Home

This weblog had moved: http://www.coolweblog.com/bilodeau/

# Notice (Oct 19/05): So ends my stay here on Blogger. This morning Google implemented an anti-spam 'feature' that forces me to answer a challenge phrase when I want to post to my own blog. No notice of the change, nothing. Worse is that it doesn't even work! I type the phrase, submit, "An error occured", post deleted. Damn you, Google. Chances are I will revive my blog somewhere else, sometime soon. I'll post the new coordinates here as soon as they become available. (BTW, I'm unable to post anything to my RSS stream, so I'd appreciate it if readers could spread the word and ask people to take a look at this notice)

Update (Oct 19/05, ~noon): After a frustrating few hours (and not just trying out alternatives to Blogger), I've decided that this is a good time to take a break from all this. A day? A week? Who knows. But I need to step away from it before I pass a heavy magnet over the whole mess.

Update 2: According to this post, the reason I'm seeing the CAPTCHA (challenge phrase) is that Blogger has classified my blog as spam. Thanks. User for five years and now I'm spam. I searched the Blogger site, but there is no mention of how to get the spam flag turned off. There is also no way of contacting anyone at Blogger. Wow. Spam they say I am, so spam I must be. Maybe it is time to take a break.

Saturday, December 04, 2004

Mathemagenic: Blogging as breathing or how to find time for blogging? :
"I can afford spending quite a lot of time blogging only because it's so integrated with my regular activities that it's not an add-on anymore."
I guess my problem is that I still haven't been able to integrate my blogging into my work, my teaching, or my research. I don't use the web much for locating information: journals, books... that's where the information is. Yes, the bibliographic databases are online, but not easily bloggable, and of little use to people who do not have access to the tools.

As for writing, my blog remains a 'write-once' medium. The value for me is in articulating the idea, but I rarely go back over what I wrote. When I'm working on papers, I tend to load a lot of stuff into my brain, wait a bit too long, and then just start writing. I haven't learnt how to write a paper as a collection of blog posts. Its just not how my brain works.

I envy those like Lilia who are able to get more out of their blogging. I want to be able to do more. But it still hasn't happened. for me. Nice idea, though.