Ed Bilodeau

<< Back to Home

This weblog had moved: http://www.coolweblog.com/bilodeau/

# Notice (Oct 19/05): So ends my stay here on Blogger. This morning Google implemented an anti-spam 'feature' that forces me to answer a challenge phrase when I want to post to my own blog. No notice of the change, nothing. Worse is that it doesn't even work! I type the phrase, submit, "An error occured", post deleted. Damn you, Google. Chances are I will revive my blog somewhere else, sometime soon. I'll post the new coordinates here as soon as they become available. (BTW, I'm unable to post anything to my RSS stream, so I'd appreciate it if readers could spread the word and ask people to take a look at this notice)

Update (Oct 19/05, ~noon): After a frustrating few hours (and not just trying out alternatives to Blogger), I've decided that this is a good time to take a break from all this. A day? A week? Who knows. But I need to step away from it before I pass a heavy magnet over the whole mess.

Update 2: According to this post, the reason I'm seeing the CAPTCHA (challenge phrase) is that Blogger has classified my blog as spam. Thanks. User for five years and now I'm spam. I searched the Blogger site, but there is no mention of how to get the spam flag turned off. There is also no way of contacting anyone at Blogger. Wow. Spam they say I am, so spam I must be. Maybe it is time to take a break.

Sunday, January 30, 2005

Learning Perl : Also against my better judgment, I've started a background process to learn Perl. Thinking about tags has got me to thinking that there are some tools I really need to make this stuff work. Also, I think these tools really need to be decentralized and local, not running off some main server. And so, Perl.

A few of my ground rules:
- All my code will run locally. No need to worry about writing secure code, or supporting n users, etc. This is really just for me.
- I won't release my code. Like a personal diary, I don't want to have to worry about other people reading it.
- I won't worry about code reuse.
- I will worry about making the code do what I need it to do.
- I have no timeline for this.

(OK. The real reason I want to learn Perl is so that I can understand that stuff that Aaron does!)

I've started with Learning Perl on Win32 Systems. Just reading, right now. No coding. I've also taken out Programming Perl, but I think it will be a while before I get to that text.

In the meantime, please feel free to let me know about any resources that would be of use to Perl beginners.