Ed Bilodeau

<< Back to Home

This weblog had moved: http://www.coolweblog.com/bilodeau/

# Notice (Oct 19/05): So ends my stay here on Blogger. This morning Google implemented an anti-spam 'feature' that forces me to answer a challenge phrase when I want to post to my own blog. No notice of the change, nothing. Worse is that it doesn't even work! I type the phrase, submit, "An error occured", post deleted. Damn you, Google. Chances are I will revive my blog somewhere else, sometime soon. I'll post the new coordinates here as soon as they become available. (BTW, I'm unable to post anything to my RSS stream, so I'd appreciate it if readers could spread the word and ask people to take a look at this notice)

Update (Oct 19/05, ~noon): After a frustrating few hours (and not just trying out alternatives to Blogger), I've decided that this is a good time to take a break from all this. A day? A week? Who knows. But I need to step away from it before I pass a heavy magnet over the whole mess.

Update 2: According to this post, the reason I'm seeing the CAPTCHA (challenge phrase) is that Blogger has classified my blog as spam. Thanks. User for five years and now I'm spam. I searched the Blogger site, but there is no mention of how to get the spam flag turned off. There is also no way of contacting anyone at Blogger. Wow. Spam they say I am, so spam I must be. Maybe it is time to take a break.

Sunday, January 30, 2005

Reading weekend : Although I did set out from the office on Friday afternoon with rather lofty intentions (and a rather heavy backpack to go with them), by the time I got home, I realized that it wasn't going to happen. My expectations changed, I was from then on able to enjoy the weekend.

Not that I was just going to watch TV all weekend (although there was some of that as well). Its just that I can't sit and work all weekend, while neglecting the household work that has piled up. Cleaning, groceries, more cleaning: it just has to get done.

With the remaining hours (lets say 6 or so out of the weekend), I've decided to spend most of the reading. Rather, I'm re-reading Wenger's Communities of Practice: Learning, Meaning, and Identity. I'm supposed to working on a draft of a short version of my research proposal, but I ran into a wall when I realized that it had been sometime since I thought seriously about the theory underlying CoPs. Wenger's text, IMHO, forms the core of that theory, although I know I have other reading to do as well.

(There is also a creeping feeling that my re-reading of Wenger is a somewhat effectively disguised act of procrastination. I mean, how can reading Wenger be a waste of time? But I know, and now you do as well, that the work that my research proposal is going to require worries me on many levels. I've avoided it for the past few weeks, but now I don't have much choice but to jump into it.)

It would be great if I was a speed-reader, but I'm not. Boy, am I not. And so I read.